Kid Cudi stormed off the stage during his set at the Rolling Loud festival in Miami Friday after the rapper was pelted with water bottles by concertgoers.
The Grammy-winning rapper was tapped to headline the hip-hop festival after Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, pulled out of his headliner slot. In videos posted on social media, Cudi can be seen performing onstage as fans throw what appear to be water bottles and other objects at him. In one of the videos, Cudi is hit in the face with one of the objects.
“Yo, I will walk off this stage if y’all throw one more (expletive) thing up here. I will leave, I will leave right now,” Cudi said. “I’m not (expletive) playing, you will ruin it for everybody. I will (expletive) leave if I get hit with one more (expletive) thing, if I see one more (expletive) thing on this (expletive) stage .”
Related:Kid Cudi rocks a floral dress on ‘SNL,’ pays tribute to Kurt Cobain and Chris Farley
When another water bottle was thrown at Cudi, the “Do What I Want” emcee walked off the stage, abruptly ending his performance.
USA TODAY has reached out to Kid Cudi’s representative for comment.
Rolling Loud addressed the incident in a statement posted to Twitter on Saturday.
“Rolling Loud is a family. Our fans, the artists, and everyone involved need to look out for each other,” the tweet read. “Share the love and be respectful to everyone. We love you, Cudi.”
On the road:Watch Taylor Swift joins HAIM on stage for a ‘mashup’ of ‘Love Story’ and ‘Gasoline’
‘Justice’:Justin Bieber resumes world tour following Ramsay Hunt Diagnosis
Ye makes surprise appearance with Lil Durk at Rolling Loud
Despite previously dropping out of the festival, Ye still showed up and made a surprise appearance Friday, joining Lil Durk onstage. The two recently collaborated on the Cardi B track “Hot S—.”
Dressed in a black hoodie, ski sunglasses and black face paint, Ye performed “Father Stretch My Hands, Pt. 1” featuring Cudi, taken off his 2016 album “The Life of Pablo.”
“just 2 Chicagoats,” wrote Lil Durk in an Instagram post following their performance, referencing their shared hometown of Chicago.
Ye was originally scheduled to headline Miamis’s Rolling Loud alongside rappers Future and Kendrick Lamar but on July 17, the festival announced that “due to circumstances outside of our control,” the “Donda” emcee would no longer be performing.
“We were looking forward to Ye headlining Rolling Loud Miami 2022. We spent months working with him and his team on the performance,” Rolling Loud co-founders Tariq Cherif and Matt Zingler told Deadline and Variety at the time. “This is the first time a headliner has ever pulled off our show and though we don’t take it lightly, we wish him the best.”
Travis Scott joins Future in first festival appearance since Astroworld
Travis Scott joined Rolling Loud headliner Future on Saturday, marking his first major festival appearance since the Astroworld tragedy in 2021.
Scott and Future performed their trap single “Hold That Heat,” released in April. In videos posted to social media, Scott can be seen jumping around onstage as pyrotechnics flare behind him and fans sing along.
In November 2021, a crowd surge at Scott’s Astroworld music festival in Houston led to a mass casualty incident, in which 10 people were killed and hundreds injured. Despite ongoing lawsuits and continued controversy, Scott has continued to get back onstage, performing at the Billboard Music Awards in May and booking a slot at the Barcelona-based music festival Primavera Sound for November.
Travis Scott to headline Day N Vegas, first US music festival appearance since Astroworld
Also:Travis Scott set to give first major performance since Astroworld Festival at Billboard Music Awards
In March, Scott announced a $5 million initiative dubbed “Project HEAL” that he said will be a “catalyst for real change” to heal in the aftermath of Astroworld.
“Over the past few months I’ve been taking the time and space to grieve, reflect and do my part to heal my community,” Scott wrote in an Instagram post at the time. “Most importantly, I want to use my resources and platform moving forward towards actionable change. This will be a lifelong journey for me and my family.”
Astroworld deaths:Victims were as young as 14 in ‘mass casualty incident’ at Travis Scott festival
More:Travis Scott announces $5M plan for ‘actionable change’ after deadly Astroworld concert
Contributing: Hannah Yasharoff, Elise Brisco