A former tennis pro has suggested that Nick Kyrgios’ inner circle, including girlfriend Costen Hatzi, “should probably be standing up and walking out” of his events following Wednesday’s theatrics at the 2022 US Open.
Todd Woodbridge, a former Australian athlete turned broadcaster, issued that sentiment in regard to Kyrgios’ behavior during his second-round victory against France’s Benjamin Bonzi, in which the fiery 27-year-old appeared to take aim at those in his player’s box — where Hatzi, 22, among others, was seated — and demanded they be more vocal in their support.
Warning: Explicit language
“The behavior is just not helpful and it’s just not healthy,” Woodbridge said on Australia’s Channel 9 broadcast, according to News.com.au.
“The people that are sitting in his player’s box have to take some action. That action should probably be standing up and walking out. They’ve got nothing to do with what goes on the court. It’s up to Nick to make the shots and hit the plays.”
During the third set Wednesday, Kyrgios — currently ranked No. 25 in the world — can be heard yelling, “Go home if you’re not going to f–king support me, bro,” as he sat on the sideline. The Wimbledon finalist was issued a warning for the outburst, in which he also spit on the court, seemingly in the box’s direction.
In a post-match press conference, Kyrgios said it’s been a “stressful time” and that he and his team are hopeful “to go deep” into the tournament.
“I’m just really happy to get through,” Kyrgios said after defeating Bonzi, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
“It’s been a very stressful time. Me and my team have high expectations to go deep this week and I’m just glad I got through.”
Kyrgios is set to face American JJ Wolf in the third round Friday.
Leading up to the tournament, Kyrgios enjoyed some downtime in New York with Hatzi by his side. A social media influencer, Hatzi has traveled the globe with Kyrgios over the past several months, supporting him at different tournaments.
The couple made their relationship public late last year following Kyrgios’ breakup with Chiara Passari. In July, News.com.au reported that Kyrgios had been accused of assaulting his former partner stemming from a Dec. 2021 incident. He is due in court in October.